Sunday, June 22, 2008

A first trip to the dentist - Dentistry in Africa



I ain't gonna lie. I was a full grown adult before I paid my first visit to the dentist here in the US. When I told the dentist how old I was and that this was my first visit to the dentist, she shouted out to her receptionist "Cancel ALL of my remaining appointments, this is going to take a while"

Of course, there are the privileged few back in Africa that visit the dentist regularly but for the most part, many people don't even know such a profession even exist.

Whetin I dey go dentist for when I get pako?!


I mean, check out the 32s of a lot of Nollywood stars...many of the Nollywood stars are my close friends O! but if you think about it, they depict a fantasy world and if their grills are all jacked up, what hope does Toyin Tomato in Mushin have!

So when I came across this article...a sigh of relief followed

A first trip to the dentist

Three UK dental surgeons travelled to the heart of Africa to set up a clinic in an area where tens of thousands of people live in pain with rotting teeth or gums and no one to treat them.

Click here to read the full story

No comments: